February

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Latest Felting Projects


(1) The little pouch was the result of my playing around with some organza, roving and yarn. I watched a DVD put out by Janome that had four different instructors demonstrating how to use various felting techniques. I couldn't wait to see what the felting machine would do with organza, so went out and purchased a little to try for myself. I started out simply playing around, but each step inspired another and before I knew it, I had a cute little pouch. This is about 6"x6".

My new "felting" friend and I decided to make scarves using roving felted onto an interfacing that dissolves in water. (2) The next picture shows how the roving is layered so the fibers overlap in apposing directions. It is felted with the machine, washed in warm water and allowed to dry. The end result is a beautiful, light weight felted fabric. My intent is to addl other elements to it. (3) In preparation for that, I experimented with a piece of purchased white felt from my stash. I wanted to create a garden of wildflowers. They are wild all right, but fun none the less. I learned a lot from this exercise. Again . . . I started out just fooling around and ended up with something I could use as an embellishment to a larger project.

(4) The last picture shows a felted "SpecParker" (a place to hang glasses when they are not hanging on one's nose). The little frog was a gift from my dear fiber artist friend from Blackfoot. She knows how much I love frogs. I wanted to do something different with this little glitzy creature. I think I accomplished my goal, don't you? He's kind of cute and a great thing to wear for this month. Green is IN! Actually I am 1/4 Scotish, but I like to think a little of the Irish luck spilled into Scotland at some point.

I'm enjoying my new felting machine very much. I have felting projects lined up to take me into next year along with knitting and sewing projects. Something tells me some may become multi-disciplined wearables.

No comments: